As you should be aware the Government is making a number of changes to the benefits system. From April 2013 a new allowance was introduced called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which will gradually replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged between 16 and 64.
• The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP will enable access to the Motability Scheme just like DLA
• Like DLA, PIP is not means-tested and will be the same amount as DLA
• No one will be automatically entitled to this new allowance due to specific conditions – PIP concentrates on what someone can do, rather than their condition
• PIP entitlement will be reviewed more regularly
• From 10 June onwards anyone newly applying for a higher rate mobility allowance will be assessed for PIP
✔ Affected - Disabled people aged between 16 and 64, (including 'indefinite' or 'lifetime' DLA awards)
✔ Affected - Disabled children will continue to receive DLA until they reach the age of 16 and are assessed for PIP
✗ Not affected - Any existing DLA recipient who turned 65 on or before 8 April 2013 will continue to receive DLA
✗ Not affected - People receiving the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or Armed Forces Independence Payment.
Current DLA recipients (that meet the criteria below) will be contacted by the DWP from October 2013 onwards and invited to apply for PIP.
• Fixed term DLA awards that are due to expire
• Recipients reporting a change in their circumstances
• Children turning 16 years of age
Most people receiving DLA will not be affected by PIP until 2015 or later (2018) when all remaining DLA recipients will be reassessed for PIP, including those on lifetime or indefinite awards.
Customers can keep up to date with the latest news on PIP and the DWP's reassessment process in Lifestyle, they can also:
Check their eligibility for PIP by going to gov.uk/pip-checker
For more information about the DWP's plans, go to direct.gov.uk/pip
Independent charity Disability Rights UK also produces a series of factsheets covering DLA and PIP and these are available from disabilityrightsuk.org/factsheets
If the customer is affected by PIP and needs to ask about their Motability car handback and leaving the Scheme, please direct them to Motability Customer Contact Centre on 0845 456 4566.
The Just Partnership Limited is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for Consumer Credit activities and is an appointed representative of TRACS, a trading division of FISC Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for General Insurance.